Hello everyone! Needed to do a quick update to fix an issue with Mouse Locking that was being a little to aggressive in dual monitor setups.
A big thank you to twitch streamer Drakkett for tracking me down, bringing it to my attention, and working with me to isolate the cause. The result is not only the fix for the dual screen issue, but the full ability to turn mouse locking on/off (MS Windows only) from the option menu as well as a hot key (F5). I also added a hot key to toggle borderless window mode on and off (F6) in addition to the existing option menu item. Now dragging the Solaroids window to a second monitor and pressing F6 is a quick way to get it on a 2nd monitor.
Finally, I had made some additional progress of Vector mode, so might as well push it out to everyone, right? Vector mode is now in Color! The colors aren’t finalized, and especially ship color isn’t respecting each players choices, but it’s starting to take shape. I’m also starting to work on converting parts of the HUD to vectors, so now the icons for the power-up prompts are showing up as well as your extra ships and active primary, secondary, and defensive weapons. With respect to those, they are showing up way to small, so I’ll be tracking down the cause soon. It’s still very much and experimental mode with score, fonts, and such needing the vector treatment, as well as refinement of the current vectors to make them more readable – especially in the case of power-ups.
If you miss the Asteroids Deluxe color scheme, don’t fret. I plan on making it an option as Vector mode matures.
Thank you for supporting me on my journey to try and make the Best Asteroids Style Space Shooter. If you ever want to chat about Solaroids with myself or other players, or brag about your top scores and share tips, join the Solaroids Discord Server. It’s quiet there now, but maybe you can help change that!
I’ve also created a dedicated Early Access Page filled with, gifs, links, and a place where you can sign up to be notified at full launch.
Cheers and happy blasting!
- Mouse Lock – Toggle locking of the mouse to the Solaroids game window while actively playing. It is available under the Video option menu, but can also be toggled by pressing F5.
- Added F6 hot key to the border-less mode.
- Options with hotkeys show the hotkey next to the option name for reference.
- Experimental vector mode is now in color.
- Power-up/tip icons now show in vector mode in the prompt area at the bottom of the screen.
- Extra lives, and active power-ups now show in vector mode in the player HUDs.
- Many other tweaks to vector mode.
- Fix issue where resetting mouse lock was only allowing movement on the primary monitor.