The next big thing I’m working on (and getting close to completion), are alternatives to the classic “tank” controls. Soon you’ll be able to use the mouse to orient the ship when playing with keyboard controls, and use the thumb sticks to orient the ship when using controllers with analog capabilities. I’m also planning some limited twin-stick style controls.
This update adds a few small features and tweaks that I hope you’ll enjoy till then. There’s a new power-up, along with some balancing/bug fixes, but probably the most exciting is that some of the Terminator style bosses can now be destroyed before finishing off all their peripheral parts. Alas, normal energy-based guns can’t do this, but missiles can, and so can your ship. So… as at least one person requested, and others have eluded to, the ability to kamikaze is born! It’s quite satisfying to see the remaining pieces of the boss drift off as space debris.
- Added a Primary Weapon Recharge power-up which allows more standard/outrider bullets to be fired at once (normally limited to 4). This also increases the auto-fire rate.
- Bonus ships are less likely to be found and can only be collected up to level 10.
- Add kamikaze dynamic. Ramming asteroids and enemies at high speed result in detonation of your ships core.
- Enemy cores can now be destroyed using missiles (or player ships) before all peripheral parts have been destroyed. Normally they are invulnerable until they are the last remaining piece.
- Free Play mode has now been locked until level 10 has been beaten.
- Main cannon bullets were not being limited to 4 as they were supposed to.
- Terminator MKII bosses were not firing strafe bullets as they were supposed to.
- Fixed issue that caused activation of “trial mode”.
Solaroids is available on Steam Early Access and is still being actively developed by Chad Yates as part-time Indie game developer. Come try out the free Demo, join the Community HUB on steam, or join the ranks of brave fighter pilots defending the solar system and competing for high scores and prestige!