Take the mechanics of Asteroids®, the power-ups of R-Type®, the space of a mini-MMO, and amp it up with the intensity of a SHMUP. Up to four players can combine forces to defend your solar system from the impending alien threat.
Help Solaroids earn the respect it deserves on IndieDB!
Reduced feature build for Xbox 360 still available at: Solaroids: Prologue.
What is Solaroids
Solaroids is a re-imagined version of the classic Asteroids® as a single or local multiplayer shooter that retains the essential premise that inertia is the missing ingredient of many modern top down shooters.
One to four players can experience a Campaign mode that progresses from tame introductory levels to epic high-octane space battles that will challenge even the most experienced pilots. As the campaign progresses, and the threat continues to grow, the types of weapons and firepower at your disposal will also increase. As you get familiar with the game mechanics and the properties of different hazards and enemies, you will learn many subtle aspects of the game: what combinations of piloting, armament, and strategies result in the most success and fame.
While each player competes for high scores individually, to accomplish this each must choose their own path; whether to be friend or foe, work together or individually, fight or flee. Each player can customize their ship colors and join or leave the game at any time. As participants come and go, the action never stops.
If you are in need of a “quick fix,” Free Play mode is always waiting with its instant ramp up, and unlock of all weapons and enemies.
Solaroids: Prologue will continue to evolve with input continuously gathered from players in the community, as it makes its way to an official release as Solaroids!
- Classic Asteroids® style game play
- Huge wrapping arena
- A wide assortment of power-ups and new threats unlocked throughout the levels
- Customize primary and secondary player ship colors
- Damage system based off physical, mechanical, and electrical properties
- Reticle indicating location of items of interest including enemies and players
- Forward and reverse thrusters
- Campaign mode providing a gentile introduction and progression through the levels
- Free Play mode providing instant and insanely intense action
- Up to 4 local players
- Join at any time
- Unlimited credits (configurable)
- Cooperative or not – you decide (configurable)
- Separate local and global leaderboards for both “first credit” and “any credit” high scores
- Original soundtrack with support for Steam music
- Supports common controllers:
- Xbox 360/One
- Dualshock 3/4
Single player shown, if multiple players are in game each is allocated an area of the screen.
Familiar Yet Refreshed Controls
With controls similar to the original, learn to pilot your craft using the enhanced precision of an analog thumbstick and triggers in order to carefully regulate the amount of thrust necessary to intercept or evade incoming threats.
Power-ups & Tokens
Your ship is equipped with an upgradable primary weapon, as well as slots for optional secondary and defensive weapons that can be discovered as the game progresses.
Power-ups are unlocked the longer you play:
- Level 1 – Rapid Fire & Repair
- Level 2 – Plasma Detonation & Turn Agility Increase
- Level 3 – Homing Missiles & Primary Weapon Damage
- Level 4 – Outrider
- Level 5 – Shields & Extra Ship
- Level 6 – Spread Fire, Primary Weapon Velocity
- Level 7 – Sonic Boom
Local Competitive/Cooperative Play
If a couple of your mates walk in, have them join in the fun. No need to leave the game to add players, as they can join in at any time. Just connect another controller, optionally customize the color scheme, and pow… your in! Someone needs to drop out for a while, just don’t continue and the game will be forfeit. No worries.
Someone take your loot, or fire a little too close for comfort… Pop of a few rounds to let them know who’s boss and that it’s not appreciated. Nobody’s gonna stop you!